|You are here : Home///Kennery Lighthouse
Kanhoji Angre island previously known as Khanderi (Kennery) Island is an off shoot hillock off the weatern ghat ranges and is situated opposite Thal fishing port in Alibagh district south of Mumbai.
Kanhoji Angre lighthouse is an important landmark at the entrance to the Mumbai harbour. The island is approachable by a motor launch of Mumbai port trust or by hiring a boat from Thal port. A jetty for the boats has been provided at the island.
There is a fort on the island , built by the Portuguese and later occupied by Marathas to lodge their Army and Navy . Kanhoji Angre took command of the Maratha Navy in 1708. He fought and won a number of sea battles till his death in 1729. Khanderi Island was renamed in his honour in 1998 on the occasion of 125th anniversary of Mumbai Port Trust.
In 1852 a beacon was constructed on Khanderi Island but had to be demolished immediately due to its similarity to the Colaba lighthouse . The work of the construction of the new lighthouse was started in October 1866 and the lighting equipment, consisting of 1st order optic assembly and large wick lamp, manufactured by M/s Chance Bros, Birmingham, was supplied and installed on the tower.
The light was lit in June 1867 and some changes were carried out in 1902. The 85mm PV burner replaced wick lamp in 1930. In 1958-60 a radio beacon was installed on the island . It was a 250W ‘Marconi’ equipment , which was later discontinued and shifted to Uttan lighthouse in 1930 for logistic reasons.
|(i) Sr. No.
||18 °42.1’ N, 72°48.8’ E|
||flash(2) White Red every 10 sec.|
||30 m high Octagonal masonry Tower flanked by residential and non residential wings|
|(v) Height above MSL
||white 25 Nautical Miles, Red 22 Nautical Miles|
|(vii) Optical Equipment
||920 mm 1st order 4 Panel Resolving optic inside 3.65 m diameter Lantern house (Chances Bros)|
||85mm PV burner|
|(ix) Source of Energy
|(x) Year first Light Commissioned
|(xi) Subsequent Innovations
||VHF link with Port Trust|